Football in the 21st Century

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Football in the 21st Century

Post by flintoffs_liver on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:22 pm

Nowadays, football revolves around money. It hasn't always been like this, in fact, players only started getting paid thousands of pounds a week about 15-20 years ago and there didn't use to be massively rich entrepeneurs like Roman Abramovich taking control of English clubs. It started when the old Football League system was scrapped for the Premiership. Clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United are now known as "multi-million-pound businesses" rather than "football clubs" . These clubs have lost a lot of their tradition and loyal supporters due to massively overpriced tickets. These people are forced to sit at home and watch the matches on TV. Noone can compete with the "big four" in the transfer market, therefore all the talented young players end up playing for them. And very rarely are these players English: take Arsenal for example, their only English player is Theo Walcott, who struggles to maintain a first team place in Arsene Wenger's squad. Is it really any wonder that England did not qualify for Euro 2008 when most of the REAL quality players (Ronaldo, Fabregas, Torres) are from abroad?

As I said before, due to the "big four" rapidly increasing their wealth, it is impossible for other clubs to compete with them. Therefore, every year the Premiership title is only really between four teams, which makes the league so boring. The gulf between the Championship and Premiership is so huge that usually, the three promoted teams from the Championship go straight back down again, only adding to the boredom. Then you have the teams "in the middle" - Tottenham, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Manchester City, Everton, Bolton - it's all just so predictable.

It's not just the Premiership that's been affected though. The smaller clubs are finding it increasingly hard to survive financially because the financial football world is dominated so much by the Premiership clubs. Take Luton Town for example. They're in administration, facing possible liquidation. Their good players have been sold and the management team that has worked so hard there have been forced to resign due to the difficult situation. Perhaps Luton would stand a chance if the big clubs/Football Association could help them out financially. But, let's face it, what are the chances of that? It was reported that Liverpool refused to donate their share of the gate receipts to Luton for the recent FA Cup 3rd round tie. If that's true then in my opinion, that's disgraceful.

The Championship is a far more interesting, competitive league. Look at the league table - only a few points separate about 10 teams which makes the whole campaign very exciting. Any side could win the league and the play-offs are open to anyone. This is also true for the Coca Cola League 1 and League 2 competitions which are also very competitive. It's just a shame that the lower leagues don't get the same amount of coverage and publicity as the world-famous Premiership.

Any other views on this?

flintoffs_liver
Village Cricketer
Village Cricketer

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Football in the 21st Century

Post by Leo on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Championship is very competitive I have a season ticket at QPR and can honestly say the atmousphere is electric!
Leo
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1016
Bowling Action : Right Arm Fast
Batting Style : Aggressive
Registration date : 2007-12-31

View user profile http://facricket.topicboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by superjaffa on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:27 pm

yeh but the football aint that good is it leo

superjaffa
Club cricketer
Club cricketer

Number of posts : 251
Bowling Action : right arm medium
Batting Style : stroke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RightArmFast on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:27 pm

I agree that their is far too much money involved in football these days. Not a big fan of footy myself, stick to cricket tbh a real mans game.

RightArmFast
Village Cricketer
Village Cricketer

Number of posts : 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:15 am

Real Madrid want Ronaldo for 70million pounds! Think what a hospital could use that for!
Leo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cricketmad on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:08 am

Yer I totally agree I mean What a ridicuously large amount of money
Cricketmad
Club cricketer
Club cricketer

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flintoffs_liver on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks for the responses but superjaffa, I disagree - in the Coca Cola Championship the football is in fact very exciting and competitive and as someone said usually there is much more of an atmosphere at the games. The likes of West Brom, Ipswich, Stoke, Bristol City and Crystal Palace are playing some brilliant stuff at the moment.

I'm actually a football fan (don't play Cricket and not a massive cricket fan like others on here), but like/follow sport in general which is why I joined the board. Football is a great game but like I said, too much money involved nowadays in the Premiership.

Last edited by on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

flintoffs_liver
Village Cricketer
Village Cricketer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:18 pm

i aggree as well even though i support tottenham i think its bascially mpossible to break in to top 4 coz they get so much money from champions league to buy the best players

Michael
Club cricketer
Club cricketer

Number of posts : 124
Bowling Action : Right Arm Medium
Batting Style : Nudger
Registration date : 2008-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Well Liverpool are defiently giving other teams the chance this season. All of Man City, Aston Villa and Portsmouth have a chance now. But I agree the more the money in the Prem the higher you are in the table.

Danny
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 620
Bowling Action : Off-Spin
Batting Style : Stroke Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by evo on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:39 pm

There's nothing more fun, enjoyable and exciting than the premiership - this comes from a Derby fan too.

evo
Hawk Eye
Hawk Eye

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2008-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cricketmad on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:40 pm

yer could be some surprising names in champions league bnext year
Cricketmad
Club cricketer
Club cricketer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:40 pm

Do you not think that The Prem is destrying the future of English football. I dont see many young english players coming through the ranks at Arsenal, Chelsea etc

Danny
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 620
Bowling Action : Off-Spin
Batting Style : Stroke Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cricketmad on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Yer as an arsenal fan I agree. Need to be a limit on foreign playes to allow english players to play the game at its highet level. And we wonder why England are not doing so well
Cricketmad
Club cricketer
Club cricketer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flintoffs_liver on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks for your reply evo but sorry I disagree - how is a league that is dominated by four teams and so predictable the most exciting league in England?

Take your club for example, Derby. They are struggling so much and have only won once so far this season. This just demonstrates the massive gulf between the Championship and the Premiership.

The lower leagues are much more competitive. Take a look at the Championship table - a few points separate about a dozen teams!

Last edited by on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

flintoffs_liver
Village Cricketer
Village Cricketer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:51 pm

QPR in midtable last week were just 9 points off the playoff's - anything can happen Wink
Leo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evo on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:10 pm

flintoffs_liver wrote:Thanks for your reply evo but sorry I disagree - how is a league that is dominated by four teams and so predictable the most exciting league in England?

Take your club for example, Derby. They are struggling so much and have only one once so far this season. This just demonstrates the massive gulf between the Championship and the Premiership.

The lower leagues are much more competitive. Take a look at the Championship table - a few points separate about a dozen teams!
Seeing Ronaldo trying to waltz round some of your players is exciting. And when you have a bit of success against Liverpool or Newcastle the atmosphere is only rivalled by the games in the Play-offs.

You haven't been to a Derby game, whereas I have for many years. The prem football is a different class, so much more exciting and a lot more fun to watch than the hoof forward which we see in the Championship

evo
Hawk Eye
Hawk Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flintoffs_liver on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Evo: How do you know that I haven't been to a Derby match? I'm intrigued by this as I haven't said which team I support. Are you some sort of pyschic? Interesting.....

I haven't said that the football in the Premiership isn't better than in the Championship. My point is that the Championship is more EXCITING in terms of the actual league table. These are two different things. The fact is that the Championship is much more open - noone really knows who will win the league, or get relegated or get in the play-offs. Whilst the Premiership's football is entertaining, it's only really between Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea and usually the three promoted teams from the Championship go straight back down again. Therefore it can get quite boring. You don't have this in the Championship.

A lot of Premiership fans are "gloryhunters" - not loyal fans like at the Championship clubs. Therefore you don't get the same kind of atmosphere at the games. I recently went to a Chelsea match and I wasn't impressed by the noise made by the home crowd.

flintoffs_liver
Village Cricketer
Village Cricketer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by evo on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:30 pm

I'm pretty sure you're not a Derby fan as you're moaning about the Premier League being shite for entertainment. If you were in the Prem you'd know differently, I'd guess at QPR or some other mediocre Championship side, perhaps a bit of jealousy creeping in too?

And yes looking at the Premiership table maybe isn't exciting but the football itself is, I pay my season ticket money to watch a game rather than watch a league table.

evo
Hawk Eye
Hawk Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flintoffs_liver on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:40 pm

The thing is the Championship football is exciting as well. As I said a lot of teams are playing really well at the moment and there are only a few teams who play "hoofball" all the time. Again, I'm not disputing the fact that Premiership football is far superior to Championship football but in the Championship anyone can beat anyone, which sadly I cannot say for the Premiership. Plus, many Premiership clubs have lost their loyal fanbase as tickets are so expensive, so one doesn't get quite the same atmosphere at games.

EDIT: Definetly no jealousy.

Anyway Evo, thanks for your responses, it's been fun having a good discussion with you and may there be many more in the future!

flintoffs_liver
Village Cricketer
Village Cricketer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superjaffa on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:44 pm

you get entertainment at burnley we played better than arsenal and battled away even with ten men

superjaffa
Club cricketer
Club cricketer

Number of posts : 251
Bowling Action : right arm medium
Batting Style : stroke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flintoffs_liver on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:44 pm

Precisely Superjaffa.

flintoffs_liver
Village Cricketer
Village Cricketer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eukrate on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:03 am

money is te reason why , the premiership and the champions is such a big difference , championship side's cant get the money to buy players capeable playing in the premiership , and most of them get related the season they go up

eukrate
Village Cricketer
Village Cricketer

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top